Closing costs are a big part of the condo buyer’s budget but many buyers forget the pre-closing costs, which add up.
- Are you hiring a mover? Most people do! Do you select a national company or the local hood guy? Or rent a truck and do it yourself
- What insurance does the moving company carry? If you rent a vehicle does your home insurance cover you should your belongs get stolen along the way
- More often than not the seller moves out before 12 noon and the buyer moves in after 12 noon and because everyone usually runs late the buyer is trying to move in before the seller is finally out! Sound familiar?
- Hire a cleaning service to come in after you’ve moved out
- It is highly recommended to change the locks on your new home
- Unless the condo is under five years old you will likely want to do some redecorating
- Then there’s new furnishings and accessories
- For condos over 10 years you will want to change the appliances
- Instead of the bottle of champagne I once gave a client a new dishwasher as the old one was disgusting and they literally didn’t have a dime left when they moved into their new home. They became my clients for life!
What pre-closing expenses did you forget to take into consideration?