who is difficult to get along with as a neighbour. Strata Council must deal firmly with such an individual
What can we do when an owner continually disrupts our condo meetings
and also harasses owners after the meeting is over?
The conduct of unruly owners rests with the chairman of the meeting.
- He/she has the power to control the conduct of the owners
- The chairperson has the authority to expel anyone from the meeting. However, this should be the last resort
- At the beginning of the meeting, it is imperative the chairperson sets rules and explains that individuals will speak when recognized by the chair
- Individuals should be reminded that any disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated and the chairperson will act on their authority to have someone removed
- In most cases, if the chairperson sets out the rules for the meeting at the outset and remains impartial, disruptive behaviour can be prevented
What if an owner is harassing another owner outside the meetings?
The board should ensure a letter is sent to the offending owner from the corporation or its legal counsel, requesting that the owner immediately cease and desist from such behaviour. The owner who is being harassed should keep track of times and occurrence dates in case further action is required.
Share your story with us!