- Can I see your licence/professional credentials and proof of insurance?
- How many years’ experience do you have as a home inspector? (Make sure they’re talking specifically about home inspection and not just how much experience they have in a single trade.)
- How many inspections have you personally completed?
- What qualifications and training do you have? Are you a member of a professional organization? What’s your background – construction, engineering, plumbing, etc?
- Can I see some references? (Make sure you also check the references.)
- What kind of report do you provide? Do you take pictures of the house and add them to your report?
- What kind of tools do you use during your inspection?
- Can you give me an idea of what kind of repairs the house may need? (Be wary if they offer to fix the issues themselves or can recommend someone else to complete the job cheap.)
- When do you do the inspection? (Let’s hope they don’t have a day job, and can only do them at night when it’s too dark to see the roof. It’s best to stay away from part-time inspectors.
- How long do your inspections usually take
Have a question I didn’t address above?
I’d be happy to recommend some excellent building inspectors.